Ferguson Enterprises, Inc. Health and Safety Director - Operational Excellence in Newport News, Virginia
Job Function and Responsibilities:
The Health and Safety job family plays a vital role in protecting employees in the workplace. They use their expert knowledge and experience to control risks at work and ensure that current safety standards are met. Their work involves helping to plan and implement new policies and procedures to raise or maintain safety standards, monitoring and reviewing those policies and procedures to ensure their effectiveness, and implementing new protective and preventative measures as required by law or by the organization.
AREAS OF IMPACT:
The Health and Safety Director of Operational Excellence is responsible for identifying, helping design and build key HSE processes and enhancements, contributing to the company’s vision of world class safety culture. The Director will manage subject matter expects with responsibilities for key areas of HSE competencies. Partnering with business HSE leads along with other functions to proactively identify, develop and execute various processes and initiatives. The Director will also investigate certain major HSE operational events, at the direction of the VP of HSE and identify key lessons and potential systemic concerns across the Company. The director will oversee a process that seeks to attract and develop best-in-class talent from multi-disciplinary HSE background. The successful professional will demonstrate a strong general understanding of the HSE disciplines and risk management capability to leverage technology and data analytics, build strong working relationships with business partners, and deliver value-added services which strengthen the Company’s overall HSE standing. Responsibility for analysis of operational HSE audits, compliance and other data. This individual will have the opportunity to tackle emerging and current HSE issues and drive change and innovation. We are looking for a candidate that can combine technical expertise in HSE, risk management and operational leadership of managing others.
The Director of HSE operational excellence is a senior leadership position responsible for driving HSE performance excellence across the enterprise and multiple programs to optimize performance. The Director will be expected to contribute significantly to process development and innovation of HSE systems and processes, business partner engagement and process initiative identification and responsibilities will include:
• Collaborate with HSE Leads and in the business and operational leadership to design innovative and disciplined methodology for HSE process and systems.
• Design, implement, and maintain strategy and execute programs for continuous improvement in HSE, leveraging best practice, ensuring system compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and drive industry best class capability
• Provide strategic direction and leadership to HQ HSE teams. Focus on professional development of the HSE employees in their respective areas of competencies.
• Drive awareness and accountability for HSE performance through the organization.
• Develop, strengthen and sustain productive and collaborative working relationships with all levels of the organization to promote proactive use of the HSE organization.
• Develop, implement and manage all HSE programs and policies to ensure compliance with Federal, state and local regulations.
• Monitor, interpret and analyze business impact of HSE laws, such OSHA, DOT, EPA, NFPA a, and other state and local environmental regulations, as well as other standards or regulatory initiatives that impact the Business Unit in the geographic areas in which it does business.
• Solid understanding of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 requirement.
• Acts as a functional coach for the managers and safety leads in the COE.
• Gather and analyze appropriate HSE data to effectively communicate company performance against established metrics to management monthly.
• Track and evaluate leading and lagging indicators and collaborate with company business leadership, and insurance risk management services to develop and implement corrective measures and provide expertise in the inspection, analysis, audit and investigation of our environmental and safety practices.
• Assist in the development of company-wide multi-year HSE strategy to provide program direction for leadership and management
• Develop, align and implement short term and long term HSE action plans, projects, initiatives, goals and objectives.
• Compile, calculate and manage associated injury safety statistics and complete OSHA and other legislative record keeping requirements.
Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor Degree in related field is required (Occupational Safety. Health, Environment or Compliance or combination of related certifications), Master’s Degree preferred.
• 10+ years of experience in managing HSE (Environmental Health & Safety) in general industry.
• Proven leadership ability to effectively influence others.
• Working knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT, OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 regulations, related licenses, certifications and/or membership in HSE professional associations are desired.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to present information to a diverse audience.
• Pro-active, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including a focus on continuous improvement.
• Proven success improving TRIR and EMR ratings overtime.
• Claims Management experience on Workers Compensation, Liability, Fleet and Property.
• Working knowledge of implementing programs such as ergonomics, forklift safety, confined space entry, lockout/tagout, fall protection/prevention, hot work, material handling, power tools, etc.
• Handle multiple tasks with the ability to switch priorities and focus as needed.
• Collaborate effectively and influence peers and other leaders to make informed decisions.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer as well as a government contractor that shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a), which prohibits discrimination against qualified protected Veterans and the requirements of 41 CFR 60-741.5(A), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability.
Ferguson raises the bar for industry standards as the top-rated wholesale supplier of commercial and residential plumbing supplies. However, our expertise goes beyond plumbing. We are a diverse distributor that spans multiple businesses including HVAC/R, waterworks and industrial. In the past 65 years, we’ve grown from a local distributor to a $15 billion dollar company with more than 1,400 locations and over 24,000 associates nationwide. We pride ourselves on delivering world-class service, and our customers know that “Nobody expects more from us than we do” is more than just a tagline to Ferguson associates. It’s a cultural belief that is demonstrated every day through exceptional customer service, product selection and industry knowledge.