Norfolk Southern Legal Assistant-Law in Norfolk, Virginia
Norfolk Southern Corporation(NYSE: NSC) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies. Its Norfolk Southern Railway Company subsidiary operates approximately 19,500route milesin 22 states and the District of Columbia, serves every major container port in the eastern United States, and provides efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern operates the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal, automotive, and industrial products.
We are a team of more than 28,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation". As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Requisition ID : [[id]]
Provides administrative, paralegal, and secretarial services to
attorneys in the Law Department whose mission is to: (1) provide quality legal advice timely; (2) position NS for favorable outcomes; (3) develop our people; and (4) be cost effective.
- Organizes and produces responses to third party subpoena requests, drafts answers to such requests, and develops responses to requests for production.
- Identifies key internal personnel for litigation holds related to FRSA claims, prepares letters, and assists in the tracking of FRSA claim data and related information.
- Preparation of necessary reports on FRSA filings, payout and legal fees.
- Incumbent will be responsible for the review and approval of railroad protective liability policies which are submitted by outside contractors. This will involve interaction with outside contractors and their insurance brokers/agents to facilitate making corrections on the policies as needed.
- Coordination of travel arrangements for attorneys and review preparation and submission of travel reimbursements. Also handles scheduling of conference rooms, conference lines and similar meetings. Coordinates scheduling of Section meetings, prepares agendas, tracks SMART Goals, and tracks Periodic Reserve Reviews and Litigation Strategy Meetings for the Section.
- Drafting and preparation of letters responding to outside counsel requests for hourly rate increases.
- Design and preparation of PowerPoint presentations, training materials, and typing of letters, memoranda and briefs from dictation.
- Handles filing of business documents and oversees retention of records in accordance with Records Retention Schedule.
- Maintains litigation files and handles litigation holds.
- Manages the processing of legal bills through Passport.
- Reviews occupational bill for in-house counsel for compliance with approved rates and works with Law Billing for processing in Passport
- Schedules, organizes and assists in obtaining certification for Law Department Continuing Legal Education seminars
Job Related Experience:
Minimum Level: Not specified
Preferred Level: Not specified
Preferred Level: Bachelor's Degree
Preferred Majors: None listed
Licenses / Certifications:
Required: None listed
Preferred: None listed
- MS Excel/Spreadsheets
- MS Word/Word Processing
Skills and Abilities:
- Analyzing Problems
- Care with Details
- Time Management
- Organizational Support
- Legal Secretary
Future Jobs: None listed
Shift Work: No
Weekend Work: Yes
Travel Required: 0 - 2 Days per Month
Norfolk Southern is an equal opportunity employer including veterans and disabled.